Friday 28 June 2013

More Bling for Bing


For a collector and vintage-lover like me, the treasure-hunt for Bing has been more fun than any pursuit I've taken up in a long while. Right now, these treasures are piled on the dinette table, waiting to be hung on the walls or tucked in the appropriate drawer or cupboard.



Now here's a crooner whose golden voice captured my heart even as a little girl. I can't resist those eyebrows, can you? 
My camper's namesake will have his portrait--an original, 1945 magazine ad I found on eBay--hanging in a place of honour in my glamper. 
Ah, Bing.


Just for fun, this is what's on the other side:



I've wanted a coffee carafe for years, but never found the right one until I spotted this little gem in a thrift shop:


We found this for $5 at a local dollar store and cut it to fit the doorway. It won't stay white long, of course, but it can easily be washed.


We couldn't resist this retro bicycle from Homesense. It actually works too. Graham fell in love with it and I let him play with it until we discovered that, like a real bicycle, the chain is greased. They say you have to learn the hard way; let me just say that black grease doesn't look good on my brand new, red cushion covers. Don't panic: the grease came out. 
Whew!


My dad has saved probably every single license plate since before I was born. This one used to perk up our family's boat trailer. 
B.C. 74. Just like me: born in British Columbia in 1974. 


I bought this DVD collection on eBay. The movies are hilarious, while the cover makes for perfect wall art for Bing!


This eight-place cutlery setting was a total score at Wal-Mart for only $12! Ariel and I did a happy dance right there in the store when we spied this set. Not vintage Bakelite, mind you, which would have been groovy...still, this set has lots of little forks and spoons perfectly sized for children's hands. They are decent quality too--stainless steel with plastic handles.
LOVE!


A fellow glamper sent this little Mary Engelbreit plaque to me all the way from Nova Scotia. Too cute for words. Thanks, Beth!


We had camping tumblers just like these when I was a kid! Talk about a trip down memory lane...I just picked one up and suddenly, I could smell the sun-baked forest floor of the Cascade mountains. Had to have them because they trigger so many memories! 
Another Wal-Mart score: 98 cents each.


I'll add a few (or maybe only one) of these stick-on mirrors to Bing's bathroom door so we can get our glamp on at camp without risking broken glass from fallen mirrors. You know, seven years of bad luck and all that...


Every glamper needs a little Paris chic, non? A French soap label is just the thing for the tiny water closet. 


Ariel and I have this thing about Paris. Someday, we'll take a trip there together. For now, we can't resist anything depicting the Eiffel Tower, Parisian cafes, or French-looking bicycles. We happily dug these sweet stickers and cards out of a discount bin at Michaels. 
We love Paris in the spring time, we love Paris in the fall...




I picked these plastic picture frames up from a thrift shop months ago, planning to repaint them with Annie Sloan Chalk Paints and hang them somewhere in the house. But I think I'll hang them in Bing, instead, to pick up all the gold accents. What should go inside the frames? Hmmm....


What shall I do with these? Not sure, but I adored the colours. I'll probably string ribbons through the tops and hang them somewhere, like little ornaments.


Doug's grandmother (pictured in the bow) was an avid paddler, and this cedar-strip Peterborough canoe is still in the family. I think this photo belongs in our travelling cottage.


You know what? I wish Bing had more wall space.

4 comments:

  1. Love your treasures! I can hardly wait to see them in place. I bought that same set of cutlery at Walmart....a good bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bing is going to be adorable when she is all tricked out! I had to smile when I saw that little ME plaque. It's so fun to hunt for trailer treasures! Happy trails, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Bing! So fun to look at the progress you're making. Anxious to see it all done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! And thanks Beth for the plaque! I think I'm going to hang it between the two cupboard doors above the dinette. It fits just perfectly there. Happy decorating!

    ReplyDelete